Veterans Corner February 5, 2017

Veteran Resources from Home…


February 5, 2017 Veterans Corner by Ronald Verini

We were all talking around the coffee table these last few days about just how assessable help and assistance is for veterans in our area. What really prompted these conversations was the weather!! Being stuck more than not at home, it is very difficult to be able to drive on down to our Malheur County Veteran Service Officer, Connie Tanaka’s office, (his phone # is 541-889-6649) or over to our Payette County Veteran Service Officer Marcia Morgensen, in the Payette Courthouse (her phone # is 208-642-6010). This is when we were talking up the convenience of picking up the phone or going online to access all the information both Oregon and Idaho offer for our assistance.

The Oregon Department of Veteran Affairs (ODVA) has so much available by either calling them or going online. The phone in Salem, Or is 800-828-8801, (8am to 5pm Pacific Time) and Online go to and select the information your looking for from the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

For example, if you are a veteran and do not know if you qualify for VA Health Care, there is a link under ‘Federal Benefits’ for you to refer to. The rule of thumb is that any person who served in the active military service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable, may qualify for VA Health Care Benefits. Reservists and National Guard members may also qualify for VA Health Benefits if they were called to active duty by a federal order.

Also you can check out to see if you qualify for VA Federal Education Benefits. There are several available depending on when you served.

Information is available to get connected with the “eBenefits” program. This is a powerful Online support website that allows veterans to apply for Veteran Benefits Online (VONAPP), also to access your VA Payment history and check on Compensation & Pension status. Service members and their Families also have access to their personnel information, DoD Tricare insurance, educational benefits and eLearning opportunities.

You also can learn more about managing your health information online. “My HealtheVet” is your ‘online’ personal health record for appointments, prescriptions, labs, blood tests and even communicating with your ‘health care team’.

Then for Oregon Vets looking to find a County Veteran Service Officer (VSO), there is a full State Directory available with cities, addresses and phone numbers.

Also, if you are thinking about financing a purchase of a home, you can click on the link to find out about an “ORVET Home Loan”. They offer one of the lowest rates and have very flexible terms and a simple application process.

Another feature of this ODVA site is that information is available for those honorably discharged veterans and their spouses, to inquire about the services provided in residences at our ‘Oregon Veterans Homes’.

And you can sign up to receive the Oregon Veteran Benefit Magazine!

Idaho veterans can call the “Idaho Division of Veteran Services” at 208-780-1380, or go online at www.veterans, , and find links to multiple resources.

There is an office of Veterans Advocacy that helps all Idaho Veterans and their Families pursue all Federal and State benefits and entitlements. This service is available Monday thru Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm at 444 West Fort Street, Boise, ID. The phone here is 208-780-1380.

If you are looking to request your DD-214 discharge certificate, your personnel and medical records, there is a link to do this online at the . You can also inquire about State & Federal Benefits, the Idaho Veteran Home and employment services.

To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan” by serving and honoring the men and women who are American Veterans.” VA Mission statement to fulfill President Abraham Lincoln’s promise.